Hi,
If the CRS are different, an empty file is to be expected.  Try opening the
original shape file with the "CRS on the fly"turned off. You could saving the
shape file in an other format like spatialite. .shp are less capable of dealing
with bid complex shapes that we can create today.
Good luck
Nicolas

Envoyé de mon iPad