GeoPackage might have some utility - especially in being able to package up
data and share it (http://www.geopackage.org/). I haven't used it at all,
but have thought about it as I'm trying to make data more usable across
users and platforms...  (It stores data in a SQLite db, and has support via
GDAL/QGIS, ESRI, and many other interfaces.)

Hope that helps - I'd be curious to hear others' experiences in working
with GeoPackage dbs
Mike