So I've got an update on this.

If I run this with the command line (gdal 2.1):

gdalwarp -cutline acid_forest_buffer.shp low_east.tif output.tif
/Processing input file low_east.tif.//
//Using internal nodata values (e.g. -3.40282e+38) for image low_east.tif.//
//Warning 1: Self-intersection at or near point 2309.5402184630693 1121.2793755624425//
//ERROR 1: Cutline is not valid after transformation/

I had one community member confirm the clip works in 2.14.1. I think ultimately this is a gdal version problem - sort of.

If I look at the shapefile in QGIS I get an error using the topology tools looking for overlaps. I seem to have 2 multipolygons in this data. I clean those up and the tool runs as expected.

Is there something with gdal 2.1 that chokes with a multipolygon in running this type of clip against a raster?