I recently updated to QGIS 2.16. As I recall, previous version behavior was for CRS to change to the CRS of the first layer added to the project. This doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Project CRS defaults to WGS 84 (EPSG:4326) for a new project and remains that when I add a layer that uses a different CRS.

Is this (a) an intentional change, (b) a bug, or (c) not new behavior and I am misremembering the way it used to be?

QGIS 2.16.3
Linux Mint 18
Installed from http://qgis.org/ubuntugis repository

Best,
--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
Assistant Professor of Instruction, Geography & Urban Studies