OK - figured it out. I think I was floating back to some long forgotten ArcGIS reflexes.

Advanced Digitizing panel isn't enabled UNTIL I start adding a feature. I was attempting to add the feature by using the Advanced Digitizing Panel.

Sorry for the noise on the list - but thanks for the help.

Randy