You're hitting a bug that exists in QGIS 2.16 and 2.18 - They are working on a resolution.

See Below:

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/15847

On 12/11/2016 08:39 PM, custard wrote:
Hi All,

As a mostly shape/tab file user, I've been attempting to experiment with spatialite dbs a bit recently, and am starting to get a bit more used to them. I'm hitting a problem with splitting objects though, and wondered if this annoyance counted as a bug?

If I have a spatialite layer and split an object, that's fine. But when I save the layer I get a "Could not commit changes to layer LayerName" banner. If I press "Show more" then I get something like this:
_____

Could not commit changes to layer layername

Errors: SUCCESS: 1 geometries were changed.

SUCCESS: 1 attribute value(s) changed.

ERROR: 4 feature(s) not added.

Provider errors:

SQLite error: UNIQUE constraint failed: LayerName.pkuid

SQL: INSERT INTO "layername"("geometry","pkuid","Code","Lith","Description","Quality","code1","lith1","description1","quality1") VALUES (ST_Multi(GeomFromWKB(?, 28351)),?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)

____

I'm not populaing the pkuid data, so I think QGIS is auto filling this.

I think that what's happening is that when QGIS splits the feature both new parts have the same pkuid number. Certainly if I go in manually and change the field I can save without errors.

If QGIS is auto filling this column, ought it not be handling the splitting case too?

Thoughts?

-ramon.

Randal Hale
North River Geographic Systems, Inc