Hi Randal,

I do not use the DWG import tool so there may be a switch or an option  that I
do not know of.  I generally export from AutoCAD Map3D with to option to export
the z to a column.  The reality is that most AutoCAD drawing (cities plans,
architectural drawings)  are still exclusively done in 2D and z is very often a
simple texte value with a point symbole.  That may be your case... When you
export that, the problem is that the z value point is a label and will
systematically be beside the true measurement. You could fix that with some
vector manipulations...

Good luck
Nicolas