Question:  Can I have Qgis and PostgreSQL/Postgis  on employer's laptop?

Answer: Yes. The combination of Qgis and Postgres/Postgis works very well on laptops except on *very* old or underpowered laptop systems. I use it on smallish Windows based tablet without any performance problems. And it doesn't require any licenses or payments.

Question: Is Qgis, Postgis, PostgreSQL and PgAdmin FOSS - based ??

Answer: Yes. All the abovementioned software is FOSS

Regards
Bo Victor Thomsen