Grant will no doubt correct me on this, but I’d imagine thot the use case he
has in mind is something like this.

A lot of the work that I do involves local planar grids that are set up with
north off set to normal. One of the grids I’m working on at the moment has a
north that is 12.5 degrees east of the MGA94 UTM coordinate system anchored to
an origin point (which is hopefully something better than 30m SE of the corner
fence post).

In Mapinfo (which in our part of the word is the dominant GIS) you can set
these up as “Non-Earth” coordinate systems and MapInfo will create an affine
transform for moving data to and from the local grid and your projects real
CRS. It also allows you to overlay (OTF) data from the local grid and the more
standard CRS.

This last bit is quite useful. Say you have some historic drill points, which
you have the original local coords for. When you where on site last, you found
some old drill holes (with no labels) which you recorded in MGA94. This allows
you to quickly visually check which holes you found and also how good the
conversion really is.

One of the usual end points is to be able to move data from these local grids
into something more standard. That said there are still people out there
working in these local grids, so sometimes you need to go the other way.

I understand that QGIS depends on PROJ which is a good choice - however for
this sort of exercise I’ve not been able to work out how to get PROJ to build a
custom grid at an angle to north. Sometimes you can sort of fudge it, say if
you happen upon a grid that is at the right angle. I’d be extremely happy if I
was wrong on this and someone could explain how to do this. (The PROJ syntax
does my head in - and I’d rather go learn python properly)

On python. There is a plugin that does Affine transforms, but it assumes you
know the values for the transform (not likely in this use case).
I did put some work toward building something in python to calculate these,
it’s extremely rough and not well tested.

-ramon.