Hi Laurence,

I can confirm both issues.

Embedded groups show empty (without the layers, only the groups are
displayed) in QGIS 3 and they are stylable in the styling dock in 2.18
when they shouldn't be stylable.

However, if your restyle embedded layers in the styling dock, they are,
of course not saved back to the original layers. This would be dangerous
and probably unwanted in most cases.

The styling dock is fairly new and probably the devs where not aware
about the embedded layers feature.

Can you please issue bug reports for both issues?

Embedded layers and groups are probably not used that much in the wild,
but I find them incredibly useful. It is one of my favourite QGIS
feature and saves you tons of work if you can re-use background layers
from other projects, while still being able to identify these layers or
snap to them.

Unfortunately, many users and devs are not aware of this feature and it
doesn't get much attention.

Thanks,

Andreas

On 2017-03-08 22:10, Laurence Béchet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the embed layers and groups feature.
> I'm running on Windows8 pro 64bits.
> I have created a new project and I am loading a group of layers which are my
> background (streams, lakes, etc ..) in a main project.
>
> QGIS 2.18.4 QGIS code revision 59c1d21:
> I get the group loaded nicely. As expected, I cannot access the properties if
> I double click on the layer. However, if I have the layer styling panel open,
> I can change the style ... I have not checked what happens to the main
> project.  Question 1: Is this normal?
>
> QGIS version 2.99.0-Master QGIS code revision 5a543e4:
> The group appears in the layers panel but none of the layers are displayed.
> Question 2: Is this normal?
>
> Kind regards
> Laurence Bechet
>
> ARK IN THE PARK Volunteer Co-Ordinator