Hi Jakob,

although a bit late: Have you tried the plugin DataDrivenInputMask [1]?
By using it there is no need to fiddle with QGIS relations, the drawback is that there is no undo. You have to properly define foreign keys and not null columns for the plugin to work. And, as Andreas already pointed out, indices on foreign key columns are normally advisable.

Bernhard

[1] http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/DataDrivenInputMask/