Hello,

thanks for the response!

## What means "big" (how many records are you dealing with)?

These are the sizes (number of records) of the main tables:
- location (points) ~ 450 000
- event ~ 150 000
- occurrence ~ 270 000

## I know this sounds silly - but are your tables properly indexed (you
don't have to index primary keys, but other columns that are used in
relations need an index)

There are indexes for the foreign keys of the main tables. Also all "controlled
vocabulary" columns are indexed.
Th referencing tables are usually smaller than 500 records.

## What exact QGIS version are you using? 2.18.x - in the about dialogue
you can find this, including the exact github version string

I tried it with:

- Ubuntu 16.04 (in virtual machine on Windows 10): 2.18.11
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/29548e7
- Windows 10: 2.18.11 https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/29548e7

## How I set everything up

I created "relations" (location-event and event-occurrence) in the project
properties.
In the "fields" tab of the layers properties I also changed respective "edit
widgets" to "Relation Reference".
For the controlled vocabulary I changed the "edit widgets" to "Value Relation"
(I used the Autoform plugin https://github.com/sourcepole/AutoForm for it and
checked it manually)
I kept "Attribute editor layout" with the "Autogenerate" setting.

## What I want to have:

I want to be able to add new events (and occurrences) to locations.

## What happens:

When I want to create a new **location**, I have to wait for a few minutes.
Then the input window pops up, but I cannot access it because QGIS has frozen.
When I want to create a new **event**, an empty window opens, QGIS freezes and
nothing happens for many minutes.
When I want to create a new **occurrence**, the table opens slowly, but I can
enter all necessary values and store it to the database.

## Question:
Can QGIS handle tables of the sizes mentioned above?
Do you have an idea, what I could have done wrong?

I could also provide more information and maybe even a minimal example.

Thanks and best regards,
Jakob

I don't think there is much background information or documentation available
on relations.

The obvious questions to you are:

- What means "big" (how many records are you dealing with)?

- I know this sounds silly - but are your tables properly indexed (you don't
have to index primary keys, but other columns that are used in relations need
an index)

- What exact QGIS version are you using? 2.18.x - in the about dialogue you can
find this, including the exact github version string

- if we can't help you further, it may help to see your create table statements
(including all indexes)

Andreas