Hi,
it depends on the QGIS version you are using :-). In 3.4.0 you have to make the
settings for the desired topology check, save and close the project. After
reopening, the function is available. The check, however, only takes place
after the digitization of the geometry element when saving. If an error is
found, the panel "Geometry Validation" appears on the right. In 3.4.1 the error
is fixed and no saving, closing and reopening of the project is necessary
anymore.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Burghardt