Nicolas Cadieux wrote:
... The only way, as I see it, that GARMIN is "privatizing the geography", as you nicely put it, is by selling map to their map capable units. It would be nice to have the capability of uploading our own maps to those units. Apart from that, positions, waypoints and tracks can be uploaded and download with propitiatory and non propitiatory software. I believe QGIS had a plugin capable of doing that with multiple consumer level GPS but I have never used it. ...

The plugin in question is:
"GarminCustomMap
 Export the current map canvas to a Garmin Custom Map (.kmz-file)
 The GarminCustomMap plugin exports the current map canvas to a .kmz-
 file, which is compatible with Garmin`s Custom Maps format for handheld
 GPS units. ..."

I used it to upload my own map with contours and property boundaries
of my region into my Garmin eTrex 20 and it worked very well.
--
Garth Fletcher