Ah, you'll need to change the layer order. Just drag and drop them at the right spot in the layer panel, left from your map.

This is actually quite basic qgis knowledge, so you might consider following some (online) tutorials to get started quickly.

Regards,
Raymond

On 16-06-2020 07:55, forestermcgannon wrote:
when I "uncheck" the ortho layer, the property boundary (the shapefile) appears. When I display the ortho imagery again, no boundary. It is like the shapefile is "under" the ortho image, when I of course want it to show "on" the ortho image. most seems like a vector display issue to me.
What do you think?
Thanks
Jim

Jim McGannon
Forestry Landscape Consultant, LLC
Coloradotreearborist.com
303-526-1118

-------- Original message --------
From: Raymond Nijssen <r.nijs...@terglobo.nl>
Date: 6/15/20 11:35 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] shapefiles

Hi Jim,

That sounds a lot like a projection issue.

Are your layers completely misaligned, like not overlapping at all? Or
are they overlapping but with just a few (hundred) meters shift?

An easy trick is adding the world layer and see which of your layers
appears at the expected spot. You can do this by typing "world" in the
coordinate bar beneath the map.

Good luck!

Raymond