On 10/24/23 14:38, Greg Troxel via QGIS-User wrote:
   I, and I suspect many others, often want basemaps for a much more
   limited area.  For 95% of what I do, a basemap that only covers
   Massachusetts, US, is just fine.  It would be great if I could take a
   regional extract and produce by own file that is only 200 or so MB.  I
   realize that's more of a comment about protomaps, and likely
   supported, unless there's some doctrine against it, but I wanted to
   inject the thought into qgis planning.   I think this is mostly just
   "be able to point to file or URL of your choice" and everything else
is bug fixes.

This is provided by Protomaps itself, so people could do that if they want.

And: no planning yet, I was just wondering wat other felt/thought.

I've been playing with it, and at this moment it lacks (in QGIS) proper style
handling, I think.

   I am unclear on how we are dealing with the required OSM attribution
   in qgis.  I have added OSM tiles with quickosm, and the main map view
   lacks attribution.  I did publish a pdf map of local conservation, and
   I was careful in the map composer to attribute OSM (required) and
   MassGIS (polite).  I suspect at least some are not so careful.
   Leaflet has a default or at least more in-the-groove attribution path,
   and I think adding OSM to qgis should too.   This is not specifically
   about this vs TMS, but if starting from scratch I think we should
   significantly try.

Agreed, but I do not have a solution for that either. Not sure if QGIS should
enforce this or it is actually the responsibility of the producer of a map.

Regards,

Richard