Don:

Thank you again for your help (in my new neighborhood).  I guess I
somehow had the idea that data corresponding to a town *was*
geo-referenced, since I also have the coordinates of that town's
outline, and maybe that was where I was driving myself crazy.

I understand the idea of editing the dbf file to get the data I want in
there, and that certainly helps me begin to clear the air.  But let me
ask something else, since my task is simple, but I expect to have to do
it quite often.

The towns that I have are divided.  Some are non-contiguous and there
are lots of islands (I'm on the shore).  Some towns make up twenty or
thirty entries.  There are only a few dozen towns, but nonetheless,
editing the spreadsheet is more of a pain than it sounds (39 towns, 311
entries).  I know that doing a join is possible in the spreadsheet, but
it is, shall we say, somewhat inelegant, and like I said, this is going
to happen a lot.  Is this the GIS-approved way to go, or is there
something better I could learn about?

Say I have another pile of shape data, like zip-code outlines or census
tracts.  If I want to map those outlines to my town shapes, and come up
with a list of zip codes or tracts that overlap each town, what would I
use?  I don't mind being pointed at something with a shallow learning
curve, so long as I know that it will, in fact, have what I need
somewhere up the slope.  My problem so far has only been that from as
far down here as I am, I can't tell what's on which slope.

Again, I thank everyone for their indulgence of such basic questions.

Thanks,

 -tom