I think that the basic problem here is that QGis
is GIS "in development" (note it is a 0.x version!), providing a good
system for displaying and editing geospatial data (although there are few
features still having to be integrated in the current version) and
a python platform (a unique and promising characteristic of QGis that
is perhaps overlooked by some users but that provides the basis for an
extraordinary interfacing capability with other tools),
but now almost completely relying on the raster-based GIS GRASS for
any GIS analysis. The fact that QGis is not being able
to do the join operation that you need is an strong indication
that QGIS must have some analytical capability on its own, and actually
this particular operation is a critical one, as you, on a purely
user-oriented approach, have contributed to point out.

The problem is that QGis developers cannot do everything at the same
time and are now focusing on the display and edit tools, trying to
get an stable version with no bugs. Putting pressure on them will just
cause not having well finished tools. But I do think that the users
must start to make a list of basic processing and analytical tools
for QGIS. Without this (at least basic) processing and analytical
capability, QGis cannot be considered really as a GIS.

So, in fact, Tom is contributing to QGis development. Perhaps
the current incompleteness of QGis as a GIS system should be stated
on the web page along with a roadmap of its development.

Getting back to your problem, in practice you have to:
1. Get your joining done in another software.
2. Make your display with QGis
3. Don't expect that tasks can be done while remaining in the
ignorance. I do agree that we tend to abuse of jargon, and apologize,
but you must
get you some text book on GIS if you want to work in (or even with) GIS
in the long term. One of the many things lacking in QGis are
GIS tutorials explained using QGis tools, and it will take a while
until we have them, I'm afraid.

Agus

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)