On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Wolfgang Lenerz wrote:

> Will it run my software as is?
> No?
> Don't bother.

Maybe, in two different ways. If we chose the linux/emulation route, yes
unmodified. If we chose to recreate the OS then that depends on if you
wrote in C, SBASIC, or assembly.

> I presume your project would require rebuilding the entire OS from scratch.

That is the question. The OS could sure use it! However, it isn't
necessary, and while I think it is desirable, others may prefer emulation.
One option is to incorporate the linux QL emulator into a custom linux
kernel patch, and have a machine that boots directly to a QL desktop. I
don't know what the emulation penalty would be, but it would open doors to
having ARM assembly modes, etc... There are lots of options and I have no
fixed ideas. What is possible, desirable, even practicable are all up for
discussion. I just want to fully explore the options/possibilities with
better minds than mine.

> What relation would there be between this OS and SMSQ/QDOS, apart from the
> fact that it borrowed a few concepts?

It could be an ARM implementation of SMSQ, or the 68K implementation on a
soft 68K,

> Would it have an S*Basic? What about the m/c toolkits?

It would have S*Basic, or something a little different but token
compatible, or...

> Hmmm, more questions than answers here.

The answers only come from asking many questions, from many people, and
having many people answer, see the answers, critique the answers. I'm
hoping for a lively discussion... The reason I say ARM is that I have ARM
hardware sat here right now - if I had a cost-effective Coldfire board I
would as willingly propose that.

Dave