In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Sadler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave P" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] One last try...

That is the question. The OS could sure use it! However, it isn't
necessary, and while I think it is desirable, others may prefer emulation.
One option is to incorporate the linux QL emulator into a custom linux
kernel patch, and have a machine that boots directly to a QL desktop. I
don't know what the emulation penalty would be, but it would open doors to
having ARM assembly modes, etc... There are lots of options and I have no
fixed ideas. What is possible, desirable, even practicable are all up for
discussion. I just want to fully explore the options/possibilities with
better minds than mine.

I have been suggesting for a while is to create something that runs as a QL
on a Linux kernel.
It is the only way I can see of cracking the hardware problem.
It also has the advantage that it run on any hardware that Linux will run
on.

This is a circular argument. Which results in use Linux.

The point of SMSQ/E is that it isn't Linux. Which is why we use it.

The advances in computing power on the horizon indicate that there will be enough room, power, speed, call it what you like; to be able to run any OS the user may please. Or indeed several at the same time !

SMSQ/E as it is now ... or its improved successor, needs application software and hardware access to make it popular.

--
Malcolm Cadman