Hi Dilwyn,

I made a cable and connect up QPC2, Q60, QXL, QL, Atari ST QL

All worked very well, except the serial network speed is limited to the slowest
machine, in the the above chage the QL.

But QPC2 to Q60 Sernets very easily at 115600 baud giving 11.56K transfer.

The only failure I had was on Superhermes, but that is down to the ser3 port not
having a Sernet compatible serial device driver. But I think it could be rewritten.

I was going to make a little Sernet hub box, but never got around to it, maybe when I
have a spare moment, I could do this.

Derek

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:44:51 +0100
"Dilwyn Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Darren Branagh wrote:
> > There is the QXL - a hardware QL emulator - Which has QL network ports on
> > the back. I often used mine between my QXL/PC and black box QL, mind you
> > that was before QPC and SERNET :-))
> Yes, and IIRC it depended on the QXL's speed, if a faster processor was
> fitted it upset the network timing, a bit like running TK2 ROM image network
> from fats RAM systems!
>
> The Aurora card has a QL network socket too. It comes in handy networking my
> MinisQL to my backup QL when that gets used occasionally.
>
> > Michael Berger wrote:
> > > does any of the existing QL emulators support a QL network link between
> > PC
> > > and QL? - I do not mean by Serial port (as I know QPC2 can do this) but
> > by
> > > the "QL network" connection - probably to a pair of data/ground pins on
> > the
> > > PC's parallel port?
> >

> Marcel Kilgus wrote:
> > No, I was experimenting with this 10 years ago, but IIRC the timing
> > was much too critical. And using SERNET you can have all features of
> > the QL net with the serial port, too (except probably connecting
> > multiple machines, I'm not sure about this point).
> Sernet can connect several serial ports, but special cabling is needed to
> form a circular handshaking loop, I never really got that to work (not that
> I spent much time on it!). Bernd Reinhardt told me that not all versions of
> Sernet supported the multiple computer approach, advising me to contact him
> direct if I needed a version that supported that facility at the time, I
> don't know if it's since been put into all versions.
>
> It would be nice to get a three station sernet working, to network my
> Minis-QL, PC and my wife's laptop together. A little bit of spare time to
> source some plugs and cables and I might try it sometime.Anyone already
> tried it?
> --
> Dilwyn Jones

  • ... Derek Stewart
    • ... Michael Berger
      • ... Marcel Kilgus
        • ... Michael Berger
          • ... wolfgang mühlegger
            • ... Michael Berger
              • ... wolfgang mühlegger
                • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (ÎÎÎÎÎÏ Î. ÎÏÏÎÎÏ)
                • ... Derek Stewart
                • ... Michael Berger
                • ... Michael Berger