> File transfer via floppy disk is my current alternative, but looks like that
> is not too reliable - maybe due to the fact that I do not have 'real' 3.5"
> DD disks but rather HD disks formatted as DD. The QL's disk drive apparently
> does not have problems with them but QPC2 doesn't recognize DD formatted HD
> disks unless I close the HD hole with adhesive tape. Marcel, I guess the
> program has a good reason to primarily look for the disk's hardware marker
> (hole)  rather than its actual formatting?

Some drives recognize the hole by light-sensor some other by a switch...
so your adhesive tape may be opac an closing the hole on both sides !

> When I close the HD hole on the disk then the QL sometimes reports read
> errors with files written on the PC's disk drive. I assume my QL's disk
> drive is not sick, because it never has problems with disks that are only in
> use on that drive all the time.

I had a lot of good running but not compatible drives :-(

Another point : always format HD-disks in DD-format onely with the DD-drive !!!
Use onely fresh formatted-disks to make transfer and do not use files on them for long
time...

> Is it possible that data exchange between DD and HD drives is in principle
> unsafe beacuse of something like different magnetic ... whatever ...
> behavior?

HD-heads are smaller than DD-heads : that's the source of most of problems.

> Greetings!
>
> Michael

So long
Gerhard

  • ... Gerhard Plavec
    • ... Derek Stewart
    • ... Michael Berger
      • ... wolfgang mühlegger
        • ... Michael Berger
          • ... wolfgang mühlegger
            • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (ÎÎÎÎÎÏ Î. ÎÏÏÎÎÏ)
            • ... Derek Stewart
              • ... Michael Berger
              • ... Michael Berger
                • ... Derek Stewart