> Anyone have any ideas of how I can lock a window so that it can't be
> picked to the top under SMSQ/E if the mouse clicks on a visible part
of
> it?  It sounds like there might not be an official way to do this
but
> creative ways are always entertaining.
>
> QDT often calls other programs which run in separate windows.  The
> calling window is locked to the degree where it is kind of in
standby
> and will not accept any user input.  But if you accidentally click
on
> the original window, it currently pops to the top and may
accidentally
> cover the window that is accepting input.
>
> Any suggestions will be more than welcome.
Jim,

When writing Launchpad I faced a similar problem when programs from
the Accessories menu were run.

In the end I decided it was a bit of a non-starter to lock out
Launchpad while the accessories were running, as some people might
want to be able to access Launchpad itself (e.g. to change device
settings or start another program) while the accessory was running, so
I ignored this.

To be honest, I don't think it's a wise thing to do anyway - you are
in effect killing multitasking or task switching by doing this.

Presumably, what you want to do is roughly equivalent to EXEC_W or EW
from SuperBASIC, where the calling program is locked out, but with QDT
being the equivalent in this case.

My only experience of anything vaguely like this was trying to write a
Wallpaper (background image) program. The closest I got to solving the
problem of an unpickable window was (1) don't use CON channels, just
use a SCR for display (or even better, close all channels if the
program didn't need to display anything). (2) Have a look at Carlo
Delhez's wallpaper program, where IIRC he set up either an unpickable
window for image display or a window which was always at the ottom of
the pile of jobs.