On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, James Hunkins wrote:

> I would presume that he is using a couple of the layers for power and
> ground, which will help a lot with the higher speeds and tend to keep
> noise off the signals.  Also, in manufacturing these days I believe in
> higher quantities that 6 layers isn't much more (may actually be less
> than) than 4 layers.

This isn't as true as you might think, but for design rather than
practical reasons.

6-layer boards are usually autorouted. 4-layer boards are more likely to
be hand-routed and typically are better designed as a result.

6-layer boards are about 30% more expensive than 4-layer boards even in
runs of 10,000.

Dave