I don't know if I should say anything (like that ever stops me) but I am somewhat confused by why not to use the PE for all the drawing. On QDT, Marcel's sprite draw implementation is extremely fast and handles all the color conversions to the different systems completely transparently. I actually went back and rewrote much of QDT to take advantage of this. I did keep much of my original icon formatting for memory conservation reasons but have an on-the-fly fast conversion to the new sprite formats, which combined with the fast sprite drawing, is still very much faster than what I had. Still some color palette tuning (only because of the options I want to give) but it looks really nice right now.

The direct benefits are, in addition to very fast drawing on the screen, is that out of the box, it seems to be working on most if not all the systems that meet its hardware requirements.

Note that I am not supporting non SMSQ/E systems with QDT. But, to be honest, for the price of the upgrade, if someone isn't willing to go that far I suspect that they won't want to pay for QDT (or any other cool programs) either. There is another side note here is that I also require hi-color. Original plans were to support 4 color but it just didn't look good enough for the time investment. A game is a different thing however on that aspect I would suppose.

I find it unfortunate that programmers need to spend so much time and effort trying to support users who choose not to upgrade when they could be shipping what they have and working on other cool stuff instead.

As for those who don't want to upgrade, that is definitely their choice. But they shouldn't expect to be able to run all the latest stuff either. By the way, the work done in SMSQ/E, WMAN and the PE really has made a tremendous effort to transparently support as much legacy stuff as possible, but there is of course a limit.

Hopefully I haven't offended anyone by this but after all the tremendous amount of time that I have spent on QDT (and am doing so right now), I find some of this thread to be frustrating.

Cheers,
jim