On Dec 31, 2004, at 3:16 PM, Malcolm Cadman wrote:

I actually did try it from the Demo floppy as it has LRUN "flp1_QDINST_BAS" printed on it.

Although it didn't seem to want to start from there.

Did the basic program not run? If it did run, what did you type in when it asks where the installer programs are? If running from the floppy you would need to enter:

        flp1_

Demo's are all about finding the reactions from real users.

Maybe for some people but this demo had two totally other purposes.

1) to let someone try out the program so that they could understand basically what it is and decide if they want to buy it
2) to let someone test it on their system to make sure that their system can handle it before they purchase it

I have been taking user feedback and input on QDT for about four years now, both at shows and then over the last year with my testers.

I do expect (and look forward to) additional feedback and reactions of course.

Just my practice to use the unzip version that I have.

It has turned out that Jim had used an earlier version. So inadvertently it has highlighted something that we wouldn't have thought of.

One advantage of using properly tested install setups (all pieces) is that everything has been tested. The supplied install program worked fine with the file. The QL Today guys actually ran it from a floppy to do a final verify before it was shipped.

One of the reasons why the unzip was included is that I am aware that there is a difference with different unzip and other archive type software. And when you think about it, the nearest thing to a standard for zip/unzip that I am aware of has been the attempt to match the original PKZIP package. Of course there are different efforts like infozip that Jonathan ported over for us. In other words, pick a 'standard' of the month' :)

Cheers,

Jim Hunkins
JDH Software Technologies