----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Firshman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 8:14 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] QWord payment

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 at 13:37:05, Rich Mellor wrote: (ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:02:23 +0000, Jeremy Taffel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A word of caution here for people paying through Paypal.. My daughter
lost £500 last year. She bought tickets for the Reading Festival
through   e-bay, and paid through Paypal  after the box-office had
sold them, but   before they had printed or distributed them. By e-bay
rules she had to   pay immediately.  She waited until the tickets had
been distributed   (which was much later this year than previously)
but when hers were not   sent on to her she tried to contact the
parties concerned. The person   selling had, by then, disappeared.
Both E-bay and Paypal refused to get   involved because it was too
long after the transaction. The matter was   referred to the police,
who seem to have done SFA about it, even though   the "seller" could
be traced via his ISP.

Same problem as dealing with any trader over the internet - however you pay them. You need to know that they are reliable really !!

You can't blame PayPal or eBay - your daughter should have paid via
escrow  knowing that the tickets were not yet printed.  If the seller
does not  offer that option, then don't deal with them - under escrow
the money is  held until you confirm that the goods have been received.
You have to be -very- careful of online escrow.  There are many cases of
dummy escrow sites which are -very- convincing.

Have a read of this:
http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/
A brilliant piece of anti-scammer work.
I had lost my link, but I remembered they has misspelt Edgware Road as
'Edgeware", so google found it!

If the seller has disappeared, not much that PayPal or eBay can do - they only provide the platform for paying and receiving money / selling and buying goods.

Your daughter should have gone to her credit card company - they will
refund any payment over £50 if it turns out to be to a fraudulent
trader  or the trader gets put into liquidation.
I am pretty sure that this applies -only- to transactions over £100, and
they will refund the total amount.  However a recent case suggests this
will only work for a UK transaction, not overseas.

There is now a www.paypal.co.uk, wher you pay in pounds rather than dollars!