On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:30:54 +0000, Malcolm Cadman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rich Mellor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 22:09:23 -0000, John Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Malcolm Cadman wrote:

Yes, that is the logic of it.

It clears the existing screen first - which is 800x600.
Then reduces the windows to a next to nothing size - which meant to
prevent a crash.
Then sets a 'High Colour' mode ( relatively speaking as it only has
256 colours ).
Then makes the windows back to the new screen size, which is
deliberately different in resolution to test the effect of the
change.

You miss my point - when the resolution is changed to 640x480, the outline for #0 is 800x600a0x0, and we all know what happens to a job whose outline falls outside the (new) screen limits...

Yes, but it doesn't upset my QPC2 but it does Malcolm's weird. Don;t think having an outline outside the new screen limits causes a problem - more if an open window falls outside the limits.

Anyway, I also suggested that eh now try OUTLN #0,512,256,0,0 before the DISP_COLOUR command, so we shall see if this makes any difference.

Regrettably not much. The screen is better 'centred' with the 4 'echoes', yet it is still the same. That is there isn't the one window in the new colour mode.

Interestingly QWord Demo achieves something very similar what I am aiming to do from the boot file.

When I launch QWord Demo from a PC Windows desktop of 256 colours at 800x600. It sets a High Colour mode which looks like 640x480 from the legacy QL screen that first appears. I then play the game in the Colour Mode. When I quit it drops back to the mode and PC screen desktop that I started with. All quite painless.

Malcolm, I think the best solution would be for you to zip your copy of QPC2 and qxl.win file and send it to me privately (can you upload it to some webspace as this is quicker for me to download and I am only on dialup)...
I can then see if your setup gives the same results on my PC, or your qxl.win file gives the same results on my copy of QPC2.

At least this might enable us to track down the problem a little easier...

Anyone else on broadband willing to offer to do this first though??

-- Rich Mellor RWAP Services 26 Oak Road, Shelfield, Walsall, West Midlands WS4 1RQ

http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/