I honestly don't believe this is useable on QPC2.

Well, works here.
"...without help to get over needless problems which should never have
occurred int he first place".
Thank you Marcel. Yet again. It now works.

130 SETENV "TERMINFO=win1_LYNX282_terminfo_qdos"

That should be

SETENV "TERMINFO=win1_LYNX282_terminfo"
Ah! So you don't use the real full filename of the file, you refer to
terminfo_qdos as terminfo? So the filename must be made up of the
joined together TERMINFO and TERM strings.

Jonathan's manuals are awful for those of us with no knowledge of
Unix/Linux. In fact I'd go as far as to say they'll put anyone off.
And as for supplying a zip file which won't unzip without manual
renaming of many files (which is what the path name lengths issue
amounts to) well need I say more.

It works now and just goes to show how lucky we are on this list to
have our collective selves to help each other, especially people like
Marcel.

And while I'm in a foul mood over another non-QL issue, will anyone
having successfully installed a Tevion MD Slimline MD 42361 USB
digital camera please contact me off list - it was bought by my father
for my son from Aldi and the company which produce it (Medion) take
15-30 minutes to answer helplines, never answer emails and won't help
anyway as I'm not the purchaser. I've given up hope of getting help
from retailer, supplier or manufacturer after spending (well, wasting)
most of this weekend on the problem, which is that it needs to install
2 drivers in Windows, it finds the first with no problem and fails to
find the second despite forcing Windows to look at each folder on the
CD, leaving the PCs with a half installed mess which can't be safely
removed (I don't know what's temporary installation files and what
isn't). It should work on anything from Win98 onward - in fact the
manual seems to refer to something from another planet as none of the
Win 98 or XP screens resembles what the manuals tell you to expect.
I'm under pressure from my family to solve this as the "computer
expert" (that's a laugh!) in the family, mum and dad seem to think my
son is getting neglected as it's stil not working so long after
Christmas, but it looks as though it may have to go back to dad to get
a refund as it doesn't work like it claims, and I spent 15 minutes on
their helpline only to be told I couldn't be helped as I wasn't the
purchaser even though the purchaser isn't the owner and neither of
those has the knowledge to talk to a helpline about it.

Sorry to bring this up on the list, I'm so used to these companies
being so useless and this list so helpful that I resort to this list
for non-QL issues generally because you guys are more help than the
"professionals". Why oh why do these companies come up with good basic
products  and let themselves down with crap software, crappier
instructions, and even crappier service??? (sounds like the firms I've
worked for most of my life in fact).

Which just reinforces my belief that we are so lucky to have this
list. We help each other so much, we argue and still remain friends.
Without my experiences on this list and the QL generally I'd have
probably given up on computers years ago. How any other industryu
could hope to survive by producing such problematic products which
NEVER work first time I'll never know.

That said, my wife bought a 3 year old BMW-Rover 25 before christmas. She's "owned" it for a month now, but has only had about 3 days' use out of it for all sorts of problems. Was I surprised to hear it needs a qualified computer diagnostics mechanic just to find the problem let alone fix it? The company which sold her the car gave her a loan car to use in the meantime, which had no tax disk on it so was not legal to use, so tempers got frayed. She faces a one hour drive to work every day so she can't be without a car (round here she's lucky to have work at all let alone close to home and public transport is either non-existent or nobody in their right mind would use it) and they can't even give her an approximate date when she'll get her car back. Meantime, she's started repaying the finance having had virtually no use of the car. SO the story goes on. So typical of daily life around here. Don't anyone DARE suggest me a happy new year.