> >Now, this raises the question, why do we not have a native QL program
> >that can convert one of the major image formats to a _scr image
> >directly?  I found tons of stuff that converts between formats plus
> >from _SCR to others.  The only one I found reference to was called
> >BMP2SCR but I could not find a copy any where on the net.
> Dilwyn has a copy it seems:
> http://homepages.tesco.net/dilwyn.jones/djpdsoft/djpdlib.txt
>
> GE52
I've only just noticed this thread, 12 hours late!

We published a routine in a fairly recent QL Toady about converting between
.BMP files and QL _SCR files.

Malcolm Lear has written some SBASIC programs to convert between SCR and BMP
although I can't remember which way (QL to Windows, or Windows to QL) as I'm at
work.

The SBASIC programs are fairly slow - 16-bit colour screens are quite large. If
you convert between SCR and BMP, yes the SCR and BMP files will be quite large
as they are not compressed, and I guess that the different number of bits per
pixel of colour data means there will be some approximation, e.g. 24 bit per
pixel BMP files is converted down to 15 or 16 bits of equivalent QL data means
that the 8-bits per colour component have to be resolved to only 5 (or 6 bits
in the case of one of the 3 promary colours) bits on the QL. So a value range
of 0 to 255 for say red component on the PC would have to be stepped to 0 to 31
on the QL, so I think that means there'd be 8 red levels possible in a
PC-24-bit file for every red level in the QL equivalent (primaries which have 5
bit QL fields) and 4 times as many for the primary with the 6-bit field.

Dilwyn Jones

* I've just read the above again and I think it's total garbage, or I've just
managed to confuse myself (I've just had a row with my volatile boss so
probably not thinking straight, I only came on here for a few minutes to get
him out of my mind) - someone thinking straighter than me correct me!.