John Gilpin wrote:

>     I successfully use Surgical Spirit (Obtainable from any chemist shop)
> and a cotton bud to clear the jets on my HP printer. Alternatively, HP used
> to provide strips of adhesive backed "velcro" type material which you stick
> onto a "test page" provided using the software provided. It seems as though
> the heads are cleaned by a "scrubbing" motion against the "velcro". - Sounds
> as though it is ripping the printer to bits but the results are - so far -
> 100% effective. Usually the surgical spirit and cotton bud is sufficient to
> clean the jets and provide a satisfactory test page.

I attacked the jets directly (after removing head assembly) with iso-propyl
alcohol (aka propan-2-ol) and cotton buds - the colour jets leeched
wonderfully, the black steadfastly refused.

Out of interest...what is surgical spirit?

On retrying with setting the quality higher last night I seemed to get more
of the black jets working for a short period before petering out.  Perhaps I
just need to keep on trying, but as the printer keeps getting itself lost
(wrt where the "head" is), I'm still in favour of scrapping it for a
replacement.