[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Quite informative to see the SMSQ/E "registrar" shed some light on his
> attitude regarding the importance of native OS support for TCP/IP and
> ethernet. And a confirmation that I'd only get reasonable opportunities
> for major QL hardware again, if the slow and painful route of a free QL OS
> is taken first.

Steady Peter, steady :o)

I didn't read it that way. Talking (typing?) from not a lot of experience on
the matter, the way I see it is this :

There has been much talk of TCP running natively on the QL (of whichever
variant) but after a flurry of initial development, silence! At present I have
absolutely no idea what the current status of said project is - is it still
viable, defunct, abandoned, or what - do you know ?

Now, before any accusations/flames come flying in about those comments, I am
not starting any flame wars here.

I've developed software, commercial and otherwise, for the QL for many years
(ok, not as much recently) and written articles for QL Review, QL Toady and
IQLR magazines for more years that I care to remember and I *know* how
disheartening it can be when you either lose interest or motivation in a
project, or worse, cannot find the time.

I have a number of projects on my hard drive that have stalled - Printermaster
2 (although Dilwyn has the source somewhere and I've given permission to
distribute it if wanted) a PE version of Dilwyn's Printer Master software, ARSE
(!) the ARchive Syntax Evaluator whihc was a 'compiler' project to read in
Archive PRO and PRG(?) files, and screens, and convert them to something that
DBAS could use (or it might have been Data Design - I forget!).

I've even got a blank repository on SourceForge for my cross platform QStripper
app, I just have not had the time to upload the current version. Plus my QDOS
Internals web site is way behind on updates - need I go on.

It's not easy enjoying writing software for a 'hobby' computer :o(

Cheers,
Norman.