----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Mellor" <>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] QL hardware and stuff

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:03:19 -0000, Jan Palenicek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Ah, but if Quanta made all this free, what reason would there be for
>Quanta to exist?  It would offer no different benefits to its members than
>the general public (apart from the magazine).

Some authors placed their programs in the Quanta library on the condition
that they were only to be available to Quanta members, and so cannot be more
widely distributed.

Even Quanta can be naughty at times. Some authors, including myself, have
put material in the library on the strict condition that only a nominal
copying fee can be charged. I, tongue in cheek, threatened to sue Quanta for
£15,000, their then capital for charging £10 for a CD that cost about 50p to
produce.

>However, if someone wants to scan in the QDOS Reference Guide (with
>permission from Tony Tebby of course) and the Jan Jones handbook (with
>permission from Jan Jones), then feel free.  Both Tony Tebby and Jan Jones
>are around and contactible, therefore feel free to ask for their
>permission.  I doubt you will get it, but you never know.

Just in case the Jan Jones debate starts again I understand that she is very
reluctant to see further publication of her work. It was only with a great
deal of diplomacy and patience that Quanta was able to get her permission
for their two reprints.

>As to motivation - what greater motivation do you need - the QL has a very
>small user base and you would get the undying thanks of every one of
>them.  The main problem is that even when software does come out, so few
>copies are actually sold (even at £5 a copy) that both traders and
>software authors lose interest and the feedback is nil - this is all due
>to the size of the market which is ever diminishing.

Total sales (in order of publication - see how the market has got smaller):

Solvit-Plus        84
QL-Thesaurus    97
Style-Check        85
QL-2-PC Transfer    53