Ah, this looks very promising - thanks.

This helps with the problem of recognising identical consecutive
keypresses via sv_arbuf. Noticing a keyboard buffer position change
should help with this.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is a little program which when you tell
it to start recording, until you press a predefined key (e.g. CTRL S)
to stop.

The program may have the following options:

1 - Record keypresses to a named macro file
    e.g. enter filename, press given key such as CTRL B to Begin
recording, CTRL S to stop recording

2 - Replay keypresses from named file
    e.g. enter filename, wait for given keypress such as CTRL B to
Begin replaying until all of file replayed, recognising "special"
keycodes like below as they are encountered.

I foresee it would need a facility to enter pauses where required,
e.g. to give a menu time to appear in a slow program, e.g. a keypress
like CTRL P (Pause) which is ignored by most programs to insert a 1
second pause into the macro file.

I would welcome ideas for other simple facilities to include. It was a
suggestion for a program someone sent me recently and I was a bit
surprised I couldn't think of an existing program which does this
(knowing my luck someone will come back to me on this one and point
out a suitable program on my website or in Quanta library!)