-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Wolfgang Lenerz
Sent: 05 February 2008 06:31
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] Portable computers - experiences

On 4 Feb 2008 at 14:42, David Tubbs wrote:

> What on earth gave rise to a SPAM-HIGH: warning ?

I have no idea, I just checked,about every message I get from the list is
marked spam high. I just
sometimes forget to remove it from the subject line.

> It is surely just common sense that if you want a multiple boot machine
you
> should mark the space out before installations.
On the other hand the install routine of the second OS could provide for a
way to reduce the
space used by the first OS. In fact, this is what the Opensuse linux
installer offers, I just heard that
it would be better to do itfirst with windows tools.

> I have no idea what Linux
> has to offer in the way of such tools, but you have FDISK with Windows
> though PQMAGIC on a floppy is my preff'.

Well, unless I'm mistaken, FDISK will wipe everything from the disk, which
is definitely not what I
wanted. So a thrird party tool was what I used.

> Bearing in mind you need a Primary ptn' for each bootup, only one of which

> can be active at a time.
No you don't - install a boot manager on the primary partition.
This is what happened here (Grub). All of the linux partitiobs are in an
extended windows partition.

 >Any other space for programs and data I place in
> an extended frame. That info' is in the MBR and handled by the BIOS which
> informs whatever OS is present or th be installed.
>
> It was MDV! & 2 or FLP1 or 2 that made me an inveterate partitioner (even
> more so under FAT16 cluster sizing), separation of prog' & data seems just

> common sense - quite apart from the OS. Many don't believe, everything in
> the C: drive, swapfile and all, maximum fragging !

I agree. I always separate the OS from my data files. I even install
programs on another dive than
my windows drive. This helps me to keep the size of the windows partition
small, making it easier
to back it up entirely.
(...)

> Lastly my wife bought an Advent when I was away, at least it is not Vista,

> but as the OS and delivered software is only in a recovery partition, no
> discs, one cannot reformat the HDD without losing the system. I have never

> invoked one of these recovery procedures, I presume they can only do so by

> recreating the original environment, everything else would be lost.

 Try to copy everything from there to a dvd...

Wolfgang

This email has been verified as Virus free.