David Tubbs wrote:
> I have a large suspect drive and in surfing for low level formatting
> info I chanced on the following, just had to share the thought.

> Fixing a hard disk crash
>
> It's really not too difficult to fix your own hard drive, if the
> problem is a head crash, or the infamous Seagate "stiction" problem,
> if you know what to do. You will require #4/0 steel wool, Varsol,
> WD-40, a few hand tools, and about 45 minutes.
>
> First, you need a clean room, so make sure the garage door is closed
> before you begin. Move those old lawnmower parts off the bench.
>
> Disassemble the sealed unit and carefully wash all parts with Varsol.
> Bend the read/write heads out of the way and then disassemble the platter
stack.

> VERY CAREFULLY buff the platter surfaces with the #4/0 steel wool.
> This will remove any existing data, level out any surface defects, and
> help to redistribute the magnetic media and fill in those pesky "bad
sectors"
> that most drives have.
>
> Reassemble the platter stack, and using a .015" feeler gauge, bend the
> read/write head back to the platter surface, using the feeler gauge to
> set the gap. This is a slightly higher gap than the factory uses, but
> it reduces the chance of head collisions with any flotsam you
> neglected to remove.
>
> Give the head and platters a good shot of WD-40 and reassemble the
> unit. If your drive has a filter, replace it with a clean section of
> gauze pad. All that's left is to low level and DOS format the drive,
> and you're back in business.
>
> I haven't tried this yet myself, but my friend's wife's cousin's,
> sister-in-law's husband knows a technician who does it all the time.

TF added:

Maybe this was written on April 1st.

I would use 2000 grade wet or dry and polishing compund (8-)#

Tsk - this is all very silly advice. It really doesn't matter whether you
use wire wool, wet'n'dry or even quality emery paper; the fact is you will
be removing some of the magnetic coating from the disk, which will reduce
it's effectiveness and life-span thereafter.

So, after the initial rub-down with abrasive material (wire wool or wet &
dry), apply a thin layer of PVA glue to the entire platter, then sprinkle on
a generous and even coating of iron filings (your local welding shop will
have plenty to spare). When the glue has dried, rub down again, being sure
not to expose any of the glue, then polish. Now turn the disk over & repeat.
If your disk has multiple platters, you must repeat this treatment on both
sides of each platter...

Once you've completed this, run a powerful magnet around the disk a few
times to magnetise the iron filings, and make sure they're all pointing
north (=0). If any are still pointing south (=1), then repeat the
application of the magnet until done.

Now re-assemble, format, job done - your disk will now last many years,
especially now there's lots more magnetic material in it   ;-)

(PS: I'm not sure what "Varsol" is, but I'm reliably informed that petrol
(super-unleaded if possible) makes a handy substitute, and at only
£1.10/ltr, is cheap too)

Cheers,
Ade.

Checked by AVG.