Hi John,

thanks for your reply, I'll have a look at it when I get a chance - my
father in law died about an hour ago, so suddenly, this isn't important
for a while. :-(

>> Remember: programmers (usually) count from zero!
I remember, I was once a programmer :-)

>> So in your example, the first map entry is actually pointing to the
>> second map entry and so on.
Ok, 0->1->2->3 but when we get to C->D->E->F->$0000. What's going on here? Is
this sequence telling me that the map groups (of 4 sectors
each) 0 through $F are all linked in a chain belonging to whichever
file has file_id 1 and that block group $10 is the final one in the
file?

If so, yippee! If not, boo hiss!

>> This would suggest that the entry for the first free group is
>> pointing to that of the next free group...
I don't follow you here. According to the header fields, the first
free block is $338F and not the zero'th block in the map. Unless you
mean block $338f and not block zero of course, as the first free block.

>> The directory entry for a file should give you the number of its
>> first group.
>> Since group_num * sectors_per_group = sector_number on disk
>> the directory starts at sector $10 * 4 = $40.

Assuming the root directory is file zero, this would be why we need to
have it listed somewhere as otherwise it would start at sector zero on
the disc.

I assume that then that the directory entry for the root directory is
all zeros then? This seems to be the case with my example file so far.

Ok, A little clearer now, I notice that we have an incrementing word in
the directory entry at offset $3a in the directory entry. This is new (to
me anyway) but explains how to get from a directory entry to a map block
and hopefully, from there to a sector.

>> Have fun!
I will at some point in the future, but fun is unfortunately not on the
agenda for a while. :-(

I appreciate your taking the time to explain these things to me, one
last question for now. Where did you find out?

Cheers,
Norman.