Stephen wrote:

Some random number generators such as that in the TrueCrypt
encryption program use other factors such as keyboard presses and mouse
movements to generate a series of random numbers that don't follow a reproducible pattern as they are independent of the passage of time.

Linux's random number generator adds 'entropy' to the random 'pool' by inserting extra data ever time the network or the discs are accesses and when the keyboard is used etc. I think sound generation also adds entropy as wel - but I'm not sure.

When a new random number is required it is generated using the entropy data however, if the kernel decides that the entropy isn't random enough it won't generate a new random number until it is.

Apparently, this provides the best randomness of any computer system. But obviously with my maths skills (and even though I have a copy of 'Knuth') I cannot confirm or deny this fact.

Cheers,
Norman.