I thought I'd stop lurking and post.... I only joined this group a few weeks
ago out of pure curiosity. Many, many moons ago I set up the London
sub-group with the help of Frank Merrison. University, the discovery that
there was life outside London, and meeting Rebecca who eventually became my
wife caused me to stray away from the QL scene.

I agree with Rich, there is an interest in retro computers. I am now an
Engineering and Electronics teacher at GCSE and A Level. Electronics
education has recently been revolutionised with the introduction of cheap
PICs that can be programmed via a built in serial port. PCs are far too
complicated for the average student to understand, however older computers
such as the Sinclair computers are easier to understand and modify. While
they are not QL specific projects, I have had GCSE students design keyboard
interfaces and sound cards. I've just looked at the suggested projects for A
Level next year, and one is to design an SD card reader - it doesn't specify
what disc format the project should use.......... In the not too distant
future we will be looking at A Level students designing computers as complex
as the original QL!

I think older computers such as the QL that are "less complicated", could be
used to great potential in electronics education to get across the ideas of
"Processor", "Math-Coprocessor", "Display Driver", "Keyboard interface",
"disk interface" etc etc.

I dusted off my old QLs, and some students were amazed to see that you could
network computers using just "iPod headphone leads".

Jerry