Petri Pellinen wrote:

> On a related note, does the JS ROM contain a machine-specific unique
> identifier somewhere? Would be helpful for MAC address generation.

To roll your own address might not be a good idea. For each Ethernet MAC,
the address has to be unique worldwide, and should therefore be
registered. If I remember correctly, the IEEE charges a one-time fee of
more than $1500 to provide address space.

So you probably want to look for a chip where the manufacturer has already
done the registration and provides the MAC address for you. I use the
CP2200 for this reason. And external network cards for the Q40/Q60.

All the best,
Peter