In message <4d34bdb8.8090...@rwapservices.co.uk>, Rich Mellor <r...@rwapservices.co.uk> writes

On 17/01/2011 21:53, Martin Wheatley wrote:
At 14:53 17/01/2011, you wrote:
I suppose Peter's question "How important would it be to keep an original microdrive functional?" is twofold

Firstly to have some sort of compatability with any existing software, still keeping it on microdrives and not converted to some other format due to copyright/protection. It may be that the software prevents itself from running without the microdrive being present. so having one still in exisence may be needed.

Secondly it maybe that in order to fit a SD card based system in to the existing QL, physical space is required for the interface that requires both microdrives to be removed even if only one microdrive slot is replaced by the SD card version. If it is easier to fit a single or twin SD system using the whole space then surely this would be the preferred method?

But heres a thought, if both microdrives are replaced by the SD card interface, could the removed microdrives be fitted in their own container with a cable plugged in to the extension socket at the right hand side of the QL and used as external (expanded) microdrives as an when needed, this would solve the desire to have microdrives and still allow existing software on the microdrive to be copied across to the new storage medium.

Lee Privett

Once upon a time I had a third microdrive that plugged into the side of the QL
As far as I remember it was a Spectrum item that that worked when you
plugged it into a QL upside down

martinw

Yes, Martin that was always the case - the Spectrum ZX Microdrive faced the back of the QL - there was supposed to be a QL equivalent released, but it never made it to market.

I never found using a ZX Microdrive unit as mdv3_ very reliable.

When the industrial design for the external microdrives and their power packs was in process, there was a young designer called Roger, working along with the main Sinclair designer Rick Dickinson.

The Sinclair power packs have also been utilised as very effective power sources for PCB drills, by an inventive Technician that I once worked with.
Still functioning today.

Back to one of Peter's questions.

A great advantage of SD Cards would be in a basic (un-expanded) QL black box.

Would really be a leap forward to incorporate some new tech in to what was once new tech of its period.

Obviously expanded QL's already have an upgrade, yet would also benefit.

I don't know if there is a technical difficulty with catering for both options of unexpanded and expanded QL's.

--
Malcolm Cadman