On 03/02/2011 17:16, Dilwyn Jones wrote:
I'd always understood the order to be FB, PM, AH, JM, JS, MGx; I think I
read that in an early edition of QL User. PM was supposedly never released. FB allegedly stood for "Full of Bugs", AH for "Angela's Holiday". Not sure
about the others...
JM apparently stood for John Mathieson, one of the Sinclair engineers at the time.

According to Tony Tebby, there was also a version TB. But the sources for this went missing at Sinclair, so a development version of the ROM (JS) was adapted for the USA market, although JS contained a number of untested extensions to BASIC, minor bug fixes and what Tony called "fiddles" to microdrive routines. As we know now, TB machines never appeared (in any great quantity) at least, and the UK also got JS machine. The later MG ones were only meant to go abroad, I don't know if any ended up over here. There was a later MGUK, but that wasn't by Sinclair, it was written by (I think) John Alexander a bit later.

It was fascinating to read in Tony Tebby's article that version JM was actually ready for launch in March 1984, but another magazine (can't remember which, probably QL User) said that 89 version FB ROM machines were shipped. Something to do with meeting 4 or 6 week delivery deadlines (something like that, though I can't find the original article to check that).

Seems somewhat strange that somehow Sinclair contrived to deliver those very early QLs with an older operating system than they had available! Unless it was something to do with either the lead times for programming ROMs/EPROMs, or the fact that those early boards were scrapped upon return to Sinclair (up to version D05 of the boards, according to Tony Tebby).

It is odd in some ways and I am glad my email has sparked some comment and reminiscences about the early days of the QL - much as the Tony Tebby articles did in QL Today.

I have had a magnifying glass to the article in the launch issue of QL User, and it appears that they had an issue 4 motherboard in the QL they used for the photo.

Urs - what were the issue motherboards you got hold of - was it an issue 2 I sent to you which was missing the expansion connector?

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk