From: "Malcolm Cadman" <q...@mcad.demon.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 9:46 PM
To: <ql-us...@q-v-d.com>
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] Finally a reply

Hi Geoff,

I agree with most of what you say, apart from keeping the "Term of Office" feature.

Better to abandon that, all together, and just have all Board/Committee members standing down every Year; and then putting themselves forward again for a following Year (or not if they so choose).

This way you keep your good Board/Committee members.

The Treasurer Post is always a difficult one to fill.

When you find a good one, then keep them ... :-)

I would not object to being involved in drafting a new/revised Constitution.

In principle I can find a lot of good sense in the six year rule, but in practice I have my doubts about its suitability for Quanta in its present size and condition.

Almost of the people I have spoken to who were active on the committee 5 - 10 years ago refer to the first few years of the last decade being the ultimate low period in Quanta. We had a chairman who no longer believed in either Quanta or the QL, but who, for some strange reason, clung onto office. Quanta was just allowed to drift aimlessly.

I have had many conversations with John Mason about this period and he was genuinely distressed by the deterioration that occurred in Quanta. He was determined to restore Quanta to its former glories. I don't agree with the way he tried to do it, but I know that his motives were pure.

When I was on the Works Council a lot of these ideas were bounced around on our training courses. There is a need to maintain continuity but also a need to keep an organisation fresh.

We need to separate two different things. One is the maximum term of office i.e. the six year rule, the other is the normal term of office. In my personal opinion three years is too long, one year is too short. Two years is about right.

Thanks for the offer to help with rewriting the constitution - we have the beginnings of a potential constitution redrafting team,

Best wishes,

Geoff