Hi all,

I'm currently trying to modify the MESS source so that it's QL driver supports floppies by emulating the Trump Card. I have the actual disk access working and am able to access and load files from an image of a QL disk.

However the emulated card will only see 640K of memory, I have managed to work out that the trump card plays some tricks with memory mapping.

It seems initially the ROM is mapped in to both $C0000 and $10000, the QDOS start up routine finds the rom at $C0000, and calls it's initialisation routine at $C011E, which promptly does a jump to $10124, and continues execution from there. It seems that the trump card hardware maps out the copy of the ROM at $C0000, and maps the RAM into that area on any read from the $10000-$17FFF area.

This means that the QDOS ram test only finds ram up until $BFFFF, and so sets it to 640K (in the emulation). On the real machine it finds the full 896K, so must be finding RAM in the $C0000-$FFFFF area, so the trump card hardware must initially allow access to the RAM, before the ROM is mapped in, but I have no clue as to how this is achieved.

Does anyone have any clues, or better still know how it actually works ? I have started tracing the trump cards circuitry, but there are two programable logic chips (PAL1 and PAL2v2), which though I have dumped, when I decompile them the logic makes no sense to me :( Has anyone worked out the logic for these ? Next step I guess will be to hook up the PALs to a microcontroler and probe all combinations of inputs and record outputs.

Cheers.

Phill.