JS ROM is needed at least. Works fine for me under QemuLator and
Minerva, though background I/O seems to be partially broken.

So far I tried a Black Box JS +SGC and Aurora JS +SGC and many combinations of the PE2 trio.
I will give it another go with Tobias's suggestion.

Bob
I suspect there are two issues at work here.

One version of ptr_gen fails to work correctly on some systems at least (including my Aurora) - avoid version 2.02 if it seems to be causing problems, often visible as display disturbances (garbage on screen, probably the background redrawing Marcel referred to).

The notes on my website say you need at least JS, preferably Minerva, to use the full capabilities of the v2.03 ptr_gen.

I have successfully used the combination of v2.01 ptr_gen, v2.05 wman and v2.29 hot_rext (I don't think hot_rext version matters too much) on my Aurora/SGC system, although admittedly I don't use it very often these days. (I use v2.01 rather than 2.03 of ptr_gen just because the Aurora has a JM ROM uinstalled for software testing.)