On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Marcel Kilgus <ql-us...@mail.kilgus.net>wrote:

> Dave Park wrote:
> > The catch is that the QL is much lower powered in terms of heat and
> current
> > demands, and these PC-type boards do not fit that power envelope -
> therefore
> > they can't be used embedded very easily.
>
> This board uses less than 20 Watts when idle (still less than 40 Watts
> in worst case). How much was the QL?

An unexpanded QL draws around 7-8 watts. A new FPGA-based machine would draw
in the area of 200-300mW.  If that...

> > For the majority of users, this isn't an issue. However, if we're going
> > do one last QL design before there simply isn't enough interest to make
> any,
> > it should be something that can be used in as many situations as possible
> > and have embedded, automotive, robotics, remote monitoring etc. uses.
>
> Sounds good, of course.
>
> Marcel

Personally, I would take the beagleboard schematics, and design a QL-fit
board with native keyboard/LED support, and a SDHC carrier PCB to put those
in the mdv_ bays, all very neat. It could run off AA rechargeable batteries
all day long, and just use a 5v adaptor to keep the batteries charged. It
could be used in laptop cases or even within tablet cases - but then so
could an FPGA QL...

Dave