I'm in the middle of my next (exciting) article for QL Today and I've come across something unusual in WMAN under QPC. But first a "simple" question.

When setting up a window, how do I set a couple of the loose items to unavailable? I know how to do it in the working definition after the window has been set up, but I think I need to do it in the status area before I call WM_SETUP? If so, what's the offset for the loose items into that area as opposed to the working definition? Or are they the same? I can't find anything in the QPTR docs.

Ok, the weirdness. I have QPC running with a resolution of 1024 by 768. I have a window defined as being 336 by 224 and a shadow depth of 2. The window was set up using George's SETW utility, as usual.

When I draw the window on screen it appears, without a shadow. Strange. What is even stranger is, I cannot move the window outside of the normal 512 by 256 window area. Even stranger, I notice that while the window is on screen, a shadow - probably the missing one - is displayed over on the far right of the screen outside the 512 by 256 window area.

There's nothing unusual in this window - 7 loose items, 6 information windows, 1 application window (no menu yet) and that's about it. Every other program I have moves happily around and keeps the shadow with it. This one is puzzling!

When I trace the program execution, the call to iop_flim correctly returns the 1024 by 768 at 0 by 0 settings for the maximum window limits.

Any clues?

By the way, QPC is running under Linux - as it always does. But the problem also shows up under QPC on Windows XP as well.

I'm trawling through the window definition even as I type, but so far, it all looks fine to me:

STOP PRESS SOLVED!

Got the b*gger! It seems that SETW, not the latest version, defines a WORD for the window flag byte and the shadow depth byte. Because I was using an older version (sorry George, I'll get it updated soon!) it was generating thw wrong value for these two bytes.

In my stupidity, I set the word to $82 (aka 130) whihc set the shadow depth to 130 instead of 2. The word should have been $8002 (aka 32270).

So, setting a "bonkers" shadow depth was the cause of my problem, the shadow was hitting the window limits as I moved the window around while the window itself appeared to be ok.

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar