John wrote, on 29/Jan/13 10:05 | Jan29:
On 28/01/13 21:33:39, paul wrote:
But (Murphy's Law) after a bit of reflecting on what I saw inside
this old QL has me questioning that memory. I Do recall reading
that most PM version QL's had the 'dongle' to get the ROM code
past the 32K memory range.

A while ago Rich was selling one.
http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/Extremely-RARE-Early-Dongle-
Sinclair-QL-Home-Computer---BOXED-1367

The PM dongle was listed in the "What else is included" section

EXTREMELY RARE QL PM EPROM Chip (8000h) - this is out of a very early
KLUDGE - unfortunately, the other two EPROMs and/or the code stored on
them have not been found. This is the PM version of QDOS - the earliest
release version of QDOS we know of which escaped the doors of Sinclair
Research was the later FB EPROM, which contained at least one oddity -
the AT command was AT column,line (instead of AT line,column) which
forced Psion to write a boot file for their programs which would swap
between the two variants depending on your ROM version! It shows how
rare the FB ROM was that no-one else had to bother!

Ah yes. I remember that boot program! My FB with dongle arrived in June 84. Ironically it was lost in the (insured) post when I sent it back to them for dongle removal.

Rich - clearly now you could get the '0000' code. I wonder whether the PM dongle code exists now. There cannot have been many.

Tony

--
       t...@firshman.co.uk     http://firshman.co.uk
Voice: +44(0)1442-828254 Fax: +44(0)1442-828255 Skype: tonyfirshman