I was asked to resolve a QPC problem with a boot program at the Quanta event
this number. We managed to resolve it, but are not sure how.

The member concerned had (mistakenly) used WM_INK and WM_PAPER to try to set
24-bit colour numbers after using a COLOUR_24 command. The computer concerned
started up OK, colours looked OK, but after running an executable program, the
emulator locked up after you quit from the first program executed.

We trimmed the boot program down until all we had left was colour commands and
this seemed to confirm that the issue lay with the mistakenly used WM_xxxx
commands.

I can’t remember the exact colour numbers used, but they were 24-bit hex
values. WM_xxx commands expect a 16-bit value usually, e.g. WM_PAPER #0,$0201
would set paper colour to the system palette’s main window background colour.
However, we noticed that if the boot program set something like this:

100 COLOUR_24
110 WM_PAPER #0,$FFFFFF : REM trying to set white
120 WM_INK #0,$0000FF : REM trying to set blue
130 WM_BORDER #0,3,??? : REMark a 3D border

(??? because I can’t remember the value used)

I would probably have expected line 110 in particular to throw up an out of
range or some such message.

Anyone familiar with SMSQ/E sources able to explain what was going on?