----- Urs Koenig (QL) <q...@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Ian Pine wrote:
> > I tried the following: Launched SMSQmulator from DVD. Changed Config,
> > adding a path for WIN3 to point to my folder and a non-existent .win file
> > (new.win). I was able to use FORMAT command to create new.win and save
> > a program to it.
> > I edited my copy of SMSQmulator.ini, replacing the WIN1 path with
> > C:\Users\ilp\SMSQmulator\new.win, then launched SMSQMulator from the
> > copy in that folder. I now get the following message: "Your SMSQE file is
> too
> > old, please upgrade to the one that came with this version of
> SMSQmulator".
> > Is it just me? ;o)
> Ian,
> what helped for me when getting similar messages in the past ("SMSQ/E file
> cannot be not found or read" or the like) is to make sure the following
> configuration section in SMSQmulator.ini points to the correct location of
> the right SMSQE file, e.g.
> # File containing the SMSQE code
> ROM_IMAGE_FIlE = C:\!MyToolBox\Q\Machines_under\J\SMSQmulator\v120-7\SMSQE
>
> or just holds the filename of the OS SMSQ/E file without the path of it
> # File containing the SMSQE code
> ROM_IMAGE_FIlE = SMSQE
> This is how SMSQmulator.ini is configured on the "The Final DVD". I have
> chosen this way as the DVDs or HHDs drive letter can be different at each
> user.
>
> When it points to an older installation of SMSQmulator and hence to an older
> version of SMSQ/E messages like yours are what one might get.
>
> Also make sure that you don't have alien or orphaned SMSQmulator.ini files
> on you system (e.g. an old/misconfigured one in the users root directory.).
>
> Just my two pennies...
>
> Cheers, Urs

Thanks Urs, your two pennies were worth their weight in gold (if only I had
some to send you :o). I now have it working. The ROM_IMAGE_FILE line was
actually pointing at my new.win file instead of the SMSQE file. I hadn't even
scrolled that far down - only going as far as editing the 'WINx =' section, so
I've no idea what changed that. So the message about the file being too old was
a red herring - it was not even an SMSQE file at all!

Incidentally, when I used FORMAT to create new.win I gave it the number 50
thinking I'd get 50MB but the file is only 52k. Does the file grow as it fills
up?

Ian.